Lecture 34-39: (H) Listen to part of a lecture in an engineering class.
34 What is the lecture mainly about?
A The impact of the 1970s fuel crunch in the U.S.
B Ways to reduce fuel consumption in automobiles
C The major advantages of plug-in hybrid cars
D The major differences between gas and electric engines
- TOEFL IBT Listening Practice Test 24 from TOEFL iBT Navigator
- TOEFL IBT Listening Practice Test 23 from TOEFL iBT Navigator
- TOEFL IBT Listening Practice Test 22 from Sharpening Skills for the TOEFL iBT
- TOEFL IBT Listening Practice Test 21 from Sharpening Skills for the TOEFL iBT
- TOEFL IBT Listening Practice Test 20 from Sharpening Skills for the TOEFL iBT
35. Listen again to part of the lecture. Then answer the question.
A. To state that hybrid cars were completely abandoned for a number of reasons
B. To mention that less emphasis was placed on the development of hybrid vehicles
C. To note that engineers preferred gas engines because they burned cheaper fuel
D. To explain that hybrid technology was replaced with more fuel-efficient designs
36. What is the professor’s opinion of plug-in hybrid cars?
A She is skeptical about both their long-term viability and value.
B She believes non-hybrids will never be completely replaced by them.
C She is convinced they are the best alternative for future transportation.
D She thinks that much more research and development needs to be done.
37. According to the professor, how could plug-in hybrid fuel cost the equivalent of about twenty- five cents per gallon?
A. Future battery technology will start to bring down the costs even more.
B. Technological advances in solar and wind technology will reduce recharging costs.
C. New methods of storing energy will make it both reusable and cheaper.
D. If the hybrid is recharged at night, the owner will enjoy reduced energy rates.
38. According to the professor, what is a major environmental advantage of the plug-in hybrid?
A. Less fossil fuel will have to be extracted from Earth.
B. Harmful greenhouse gas emissions will be reduced.
C. Global climates may begin to return to normal leveis.
D. Consumers will never have a need for fossil fuels again.
39. Are the following characteristics of plug-in hybrids or non-hybrid automobiles?
Click in the correct box for each sentence.
|A. It bums a lot of fuel when it idles.|
|B. It has a more, efficient engine.|
|C. It costs twenty-five cents per mile to drive.|
|D. It is the more expensive car of the two.|
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.